11 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: John (offline)  Monday, 17 March 2008 @ 03:19 PM ICT (Read 24492 times)  

Has anybody got any idea what bikes will be on show.
Thanks
John

John

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 18 March 2008 @ 07:57 AM ICT  

Hi John,

The 29th Bangkok International Motor Show is from March 28 to 6 April.

https://motorcycleinth.com/calendar/event.php?eid=20070827021207749

With lots of things to see.... And sorry not much people know what the manufacturers going to show of. Some say that the some of the bike manufacturers will introduce large displacement bikes. Yamaha and Kawasaki already started selling official big bikes.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: GSM ()  Thursday, 03 April 2008 @ 01:16 AM ICT  

Can anyone tell me if the final day's "BIG BIKE SHOW" is a show by all manufacturers to show/sell their big bikes, or if it is just a display of owners showing off thier bikes?

If the latter, are the "Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki SPECIAL SHOW's on the odd preceding days when they show off their big bikes avgailable for sale in Thailand?

Any info appreciated.

By: Anonymous: Rick ()  Thursday, 03 April 2008 @ 09:04 AM ICT  

Most manufacturers on the Bangkok motorshow are selling the bikes they have on display. Some have earlier introduction dates then others. Yamaha has direct available the FZ1, FZ6, R1 and R6. Triumph, BMW and Ducati where already selling big bikes in Thailand.

In basic it is only Honda who has no clear planning on when the bigger bikes are available in Thailand, so for Honda and probably Suzuki you need to relay on grey imported bikes.

If you where wondering, if the motorcycles on display are going to be sold at the end of the Bangkok Motorshow, I have to say that the chances are slim. Most motorcycles at the motorshow are here with temporary import permit/papers, which means they need to leave the country after the permit expires.

By: John (offline)  Friday, 04 April 2008 @ 08:38 PM ICT  

I can not understand Kawasaki they show the bikes at the show but do not have any for sale they told me the 250r will be on sale in August and the EN6r in February 2009 these bike are made in Rayong why do we have to wait so long.
Price quoted 250r approx Bhat 150,000 EN6r 280,000.
John

John

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 05 April 2008 @ 07:31 PM ICT  

Most manufacturers wait until the new engine displacement ruling is in place. With the new engine displacement rule motorcycles with a engine smaller then 250cc pay less TAX and almost no import duty (depends on country of origin). This engine size rule was before 200cc.

Rumors say that in 2009 the whole market for larger displacement motorcycles is up for changes, some even speculated that larger motorcycles get full motor-vehicle status.

Technical, Kawasaki factory in Rayong has a BOI license to manufacture motorcycles for export purposes, bureaucratic as Thailand can be, this is not easily changed in papers to also sell to domestic markets.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: ThaiJan ()  Tuesday, 15 April 2008 @ 04:48 AM ICT  

Quote by: news

Rumors say that in 2009 the whole market for larger displacement motorcycles is up for changes, some even speculated that larger motorcycles get full motor-vehicle status.

Could you be a little more specific? What changes? What does it mean if larger bikes get full motor-vehicle status?
One thing is for sure, something is boiling. The manufacturers know something we don't since they have set up showrooms, but wont quote prices or deliver anything for the time being.

Anybody knows what the newly entered Thai/Japanese trade agreement says? Read some time back Yamaha mentioned it will gradually make big bikes much cheaper in Thailand. Wondering what BMW, Ducati etc. has to say about that if it's true.

I'm out for a new Kawasaki ZZR1400/ZX1400, but it wasn't at the fair and Kawasaki won't quote me a price or get me one. On the gray market they are 560,000 ++, twice as expensive as in the States, and with no valid factory guarantee it's a huge gamble. Further, when big bikes sold with clean papers by authorized dealers starts getting on the market gray market prices will fall steeply or maybe even completely fade out. Are prices further going to drop significant due to changes in tax, duty etc. you're at risk to loose lots of money on a gray market bike within very short time.

Hmmmm, to buy or not to buy, that's the question.

Comments?

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Tuesday, 15 April 2008 @ 07:10 AM ICT  

The problem with rumors is that not much people know exactly the scale of the event, but I can give you my understanding of the possible changes....

With "larger motorcycles getting complete motor-vehicle status" as part of the rumor, it will change the status of larger displacement engine motorcycles. Currently, it doesn't matter how big your bike is, in the eyes of the law you nothing more then the 110cc moppet of the teenage neighbor.

Free trade agreements play a important role motorcyclists in Thailand, first the 200cc rule changed to 250cc to unify the ASEAN market. Also it reduces import tax, as we can see at Yamaha, who offers bikes in Thailand at a competitive pricing. Yamaha imported this large displacement bikes from India, also a country with which Thailand has a FTA.

Your concern about motorcycle prices, Thailand would probably never get on the same price level as we see in the US or Europe. A bike with a engine of +/- 1300 to 1400cc cost around 80,000 Baht to get legally registered. Plus some import duty...

We made a small pricelist of motorcycles official available in Thailand, this are recommended retail prices https://motorcycleinth.com/staticpages/index.php/big-motorcycle-prices

As last an advice, if you go for buying a bike in the grey market, keep both eyes wide open and trust nobody. If the dealer tells you I get the papers next week, then wait until next week... If something needs to be agreed on, and you belief the dealer can supply it, agree to it only in writing (both English and Thai, even if the owner of the shop speaks perfectly English, the police officer who you need to enforce your right will probably not read English).

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: ThaiJan ()  Tuesday, 15 April 2008 @ 03:53 PM ICT  

Quote by: ThaiDesign

The problem with rumors is that not much people know exactly the scale of the event, but I can give you my understanding of the possible changes....

Thanks for the input ThaiDesign.

Already got a second hand ZZR1200 I bought a year and a half back. Doing the deal I followed the recipe you are mentioning and didn't face any major problems. I knew the trader got the papers, only he wouldn't let go of them, so it took a visit from an influential friend of mine to get them handed over.

But now I'm out for a factory new bike and would like to get the warranty only authorized dealers can provide if possible. Have been sniffing around the gray market for the last 6 months, and I have noticed that prices I'm quoted has steadily been falling 20% during this period, a trend that seems to continue as we speak. That's why I'm curious about what's going on.

Cheers,

By: Anonymous: Frank ()  Thursday, 28 January 2010 @ 05:48 PM ICT  

All bike models will be on display, and probably a lot of custom bikes as well. There were quite a few choppers last year.

By: news (offline)  Thursday, 28 January 2010 @ 06:24 PM ICT  

The 31th Bangkok Motorshow will be held from Friday, 26/03/10 to Tuesday, 06/04/10

news

Group Comfort
Level:

11 posts :: Page 1 of 1