By: finzean100 (offline)  Thursday, 10 June 2010 @ 03:15 PM ICT (Read 3900 times)  

I was just finishing dinner last evening when a Thai Gentleman sat down beside me and enquired if the Cruiser parked at the kerbside was mine.Thinking that this was just another guy admiring the bikes looks and flashy paint job I confirmed that it was indeed my bike.I then noticed that he was in the company of several other men one of whom had some sort of bag like a ticket collector might have round his neck.

It transpired that these guys were some kind of tax officials their reason for enquiring about my bike was to assertain whether import tax had been paid on it. The one who sat beside me and who also spoke a little English asked if I had a Thai friend who could help me.They insisted on my following them on the bike with one of them riding pillion to their headquarters,which fortunately was just around the corner (I am not used to carrying a pillion and am leaving this until I am totally comfortable myself on the bike.

I called my landlord a wonderful guy who has helped me on numerous occasions,for example when I was dealing with Imigration to obtain the requisite documentation to actually buy the bike.My Landlord arrived within 15 minutes I had explained that I had the receipt etc. at my apartment.They insisted I give them the key for the bike and we returned to fetch my documents.My friendly landlord looked rather unimpressed when I showed him my receipt as it did not make any reference to tax having been paid.

When we arrived back and the document was handed over it quickly became apparent that this was not going to be sufficient to get me my bike back.I recalled having talked on the phone on a number of occasions to Bullen The Manager of Mityon Pataya and while I did not have his number listed in my phone book I knew that it must exist in the call register.Trying to recall the date the day after I bought the bike 2 months ago when I had to speak with bullen as the bike had conked out on the way back to Udon,(dirt in the carberateur) I picked out and dialed what I felt might be his number,joy of joy I got through to him on the first call,he is a very positive,helpful and busineslike guy I put him on to one of the Tax guys, there were actually around 7/8 different guys involved all perfectly pleasant and having the usual limited banter with a falang.

Bullen reassured the tax people that he would fax all the relevant documentation next Morning, I was never going to get my bike back without these documents so I resigned myself to leaving the bike with these guys who rode it into the building (at least it was not going to be stolen!!) Lek my wonderful Landlord got a call from Bullen at around 11.30 this Morning (just as well I can put my trip off until Towmorrow!!).The fax consisted of four pages with the official Thai Birdy thing at the top,admittedly some of it pretty illegible looking.

At the tax office we were politely greeted taken to a large office in a building across the Street and about 7or 8 people of various seniority examined the papers examined the bike seemed to find things they were not happy with and phone calls to poor Bullen came thick and fast. Taking my cue from Lek my landlord who is a master of the Thai way of being scrupulously polite saying Kap a lot and smiling,I bit my tongue smiled got involved in a bit more banter,when what I actually wanted to do was demand to see the Man in charge and tell him what a useless bunch of C--ts he had working for him and insist that he give me my bike back!!! I have however lived in Thailand long enough to understand that the game has to be played by their rules and shows of pique or even worse anger are really counter productive.

I did however get my wish to meet the Man in charge he arrived had a few more phone calls,attempted to look as if he were wrestling with a huge and desperately important decision and eventually handed the papers to lek and said OK.Handshakes all round.I owe Lek a nice present for wasting his Morning on this nonsense,and I shall follow his advice and keep these documents relating to the tax with me whenever I am out on the bike!!

So all in all it could have been a lot worse and it was good therapy for me in learning to curb my Scottish temper.I am still waiting for my actual registration documents,there was all kinds of nonsense with them,the documents I obtained in Udon from Immigration not being acceptable in Pataya,something to do with the 90 day visa being almost expired,while I am on a 12 month type 0 visa I leave every 90 days. I eventualy got all that sorted (with Leks help) and I am told I will get my registration documents in the next few weeks,I sincerely hope I do as I want to go and visit Lao on my bike, and am not stupid enough to try and make this trip without being 100% sure that all my ducks are well and truly in a row!!!!

Regarding the tax on bikes I of course know nothing about it, Lek did say that were I not able to prove that the tax had been paid it was going to cost me around 20,000 Baht to get my bike back,if he is correct in his assertion this would mean that the import tax is around 20%. I have written a bit about my experiences with the bike under the thread Keeway.Basically I am quite happy with the bike not having anything to compare it too.Would I buy another Keeway? the answer is NO!!

southamerica.dshodgson.com/2008/03/03/keeway-cruiser-250cc-review/

~ dead link removed ~

These are links to a couple of really good reviews on the Keeway 250 Cruiser, they do not seem to work when I copy them in so you will have to search entering them manually.
Sory but my knowledge of computers is on a par with my knowledge of Motorcycles, NEGLIGABLE!!!

finzean100

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: Richard (offline)  Thursday, 10 June 2010 @ 07:11 PM ICT  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand from your posting is that you did not yet received the greenbook and license plate for the motorcycle.

This could indeed attract the attention of the revenue department, as most motorcycle without plates or greenbook are illegal imported motorcycles without import tax not paid.

You're with your story not the only one, we are hearing more and more about this active tax collectors who stop, or confiscate motorcycles all over Thailand.

I believe that this is the end of the so-called invoice motorcycles (which are motorcycles who only come with the import paperwork and not have a valid greenbook or license plates).

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Richard (offline)  Thursday, 10 June 2010 @ 07:22 PM ICT  

When Honda stopped selling the Honda Phantom TA200 and CBR150R, and no Japanese manufacturer stepped in to fill the cap lots of people start looking for alternatives. Keeway is apparently offering an alternative, not forget that the Suzuki VL250 (if it would become available in Thailand) would cost more than twice the price of a Keeway 250 Cruiser. Lifan is offering the LF250-B which is, I was told, a bit higher in price of the Keeway 250 Cruiser.... But Lifan is still struggling to get a good dealer network...

I think it would be better if you would one day compare your Keeway 250 Cruiser with a Honda Phantom TA200 cruiser, the Honda 200cc single-cylinder is famous for being underpowered, brakes are best described as being dangerous and the same is valid for the road handling of the Honda Phantom …
Ride On

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: shark ()  Monday, 14 June 2010 @ 10:17 PM ICT  

Quote by: finzean100

I was just finishing dinner last evening when a Thai Gentleman sat down beside me and enquired if the Cruiser parked at the kerbside was mine.Thinking that this was just another guy admiring the bikes looks and flashy paint job I confirmed that it was indeed my bike.I then noticed that he was in the company of several other men one of whom had some sort of bag like a ticket collector might have round his neck.

It transpired that these guys were some kind of tax officials their reason for enquiring about my bike was to assertain whether import tax had been paid on it. The one who sat beside me and who also spoke a little English asked if I had a Thai friend who could help me.They insisted on my following them on the bike with one of them riding pillion to their headquarters,which fortunately was just around the corner (I am not used to carrying a pillion and am leaving this until I am totally comfortable myself on the bike.

I called my landlord a wonderful guy who has helped me on numerous occasions,for example when I was dealing with Imigration to obtain the requisite documentation to actually buy the bike.My Landlord arrived within 15 minutes I had explained that I had the receipt etc. at my apartment.They insisted I give them the key for the bike and we returned to fetch my documents.My friendly landlord looked rather unimpressed when I showed him my receipt as it did not make any reference to tax having been paid.

When we arrived back and the document was handed over it quickly became apparent that this was not going to be sufficient to get me my bike back.I recalled having talked on the phone on a number of occasions to Bullen The Manager of Mityon Pataya and while I did not have his number listed in my phone book I knew that it must exist in the call register.Trying to recall the date the day after I bought the bike 2 months ago when I had to speak with bullen as the bike had conked out on the way back to Udon,(dirt in the carberateur) I picked out and dialed what I felt might be his number,joy of joy I got through to him on the first call,he is a very positive,helpful and busineslike guy I put him on to one of the Tax guys, there were actually around 7/8 different guys involved all perfectly pleasant and having the usual limited banter with a falang.

Bullen reassured the tax people that he would fax all the relevant documentation next Morning, I was never going to get my bike back without these documents so I resigned myself to leaving the bike with these guys who rode it into the building (at least it was not going to be stolen!!) Lek my wonderful Landlord got a call from Bullen at around 11.30 this Morning (just as well I can put my trip off until Towmorrow!!).The fax consisted of four pages with the official Thai Birdy thing at the top,admittedly some of it pretty illegible looking.

At the tax office we were politely greeted taken to a large office in a building across the Street and about 7or 8 people of various seniority examined the papers examined the bike seemed to find things they were not happy with and phone calls to poor Bullen came thick and fast. Taking my cue from Lek my landlord who is a master of the Thai way of being scrupulously polite saying Kap a lot and smiling,I bit my tongue smiled got involved in a bit more banter,when what I actually wanted to do was demand to see the Man in charge and tell him what a useless bunch of C--ts he had working for him and insist that he give me my bike back!!! I have however lived in Thailand long enough to understand that the game has to be played by their rules and shows of pique or even worse anger are really counter productive.

I did however get my wish to meet the Man in charge he arrived had a few more phone calls,attempted to look as if he were wrestling with a huge and desperately important decision and eventually handed the papers to lek and said OK.Handshakes all round.I owe Lek a nice present for wasting his Morning on this nonsense,and I shall follow his advice and keep these documents relating to the tax with me whenever I am out on the bike!!

So all in all it could have been a lot worse and it was good therapy for me in learning to curb my Scottish temper.I am still waiting for my actual registration documents,there was all kinds of nonsense with them,the documents I obtained in Udon from Immigration not being acceptable in Pataya,something to do with the 90 day visa being almost expired,while I am on a 12 month type 0 visa I leave every 90 days. I eventualy got all that sorted (with Leks help) and I am told I will get my registration documents in the next few weeks,I sincerely hope I do as I want to go and visit Lao on my bike, and am not stupid enough to try and make this trip without being 100% sure that all my ducks are well and truly in a row!!!!

Regarding the tax on bikes I of course know nothing about it, Lek did say that were I not able to prove that the tax had been paid it was going to cost me around 20,000 Baht to get my bike back,if he is correct in his assertion this would mean that the import tax is around 20%. I have written a bit about my experiences with the bike under the thread Keeway.Basically I am quite happy with the bike not having anything to compare it too.Would I buy another Keeway? the answer is NO!!

www.aatorque.co.nz/reviews/Pages/Keeway-Cruiser.aspx

These are links to a couple of really good reviews on the Keeway 250 Cruiser, they do not seem to work when I copy them in so you will have to search entering them manually.
Sory but my knowledge of computers is on a par with my knowledge of Motorcycles, NEGLIGABLE!!!

Hi,

First of all, did you ever buy a vehicule in your country without the proper document ? a bike or a car without plate ? No !

Well it is the same story here, no vehicule can be sold in Thailand without the green book and the yearly tax paid.

never buy a bike or a vehicule without proper documents, most of the time those bike have import illegally in Thailand,and nobody paid the import duties.

If the bike does not have any plate, it is up to the dealer to handle this kind of process, not you, he is supposed to sell vehicule that have been imported properly. Don't even take the bike from the shop without the green book, otherwise you won't be able to insure this vehicule. ( it is written on your insurance contract ) . If the bike is brand new, the dealer have to provide a red plate valid for 90 days, but you are not allowed to ride the bike after 8pm, only on day time.

best regards

Sylvain / shark

By: tigersachsclub (offline)  Monday, 14 June 2010 @ 11:43 PM ICT  

Quote by: shark

Quote by: finzean100

www.aatorque.co.nz/reviews/Pages/Keeway-Cruiser.aspx

Hi,

First of all, did you ever buy a vehicule in your country without the proper document ? a bike or a car without plate ? No !

Well it is the same story here, no vehicule can be sold in Thailand without the green book and the yearly tax paid.

never buy a bike or a vehicule without proper documents, most of the time those bike have import illegally in Thailand,and nobody paid the import duties.

If the bike does not have any plate, it is up to the dealer to handle this kind of process, not you, he is supposed to sell vehicule that have been imported properly. Don't even take the bike from the shop without the green book, otherwise you won't be able to insure this vehicule. ( it is written on your insurance contract ) . If the bike is brand new, the dealer have to provide a red plate valid for 90 days, but you are not allowed to ride the bike after 8pm, only on day time.

best regards

Sylvain / shark

Hi Sylvain,

Good post and putting it into the right light as well.
need to add that the Red Plate is no longer required (in most Provinces, but in thailand there is no such thing as same rules in every province :-) ) nor available ( as said before - in most provinces ), but i believe there is/was written something that any bike must wear plates , than again, maybe it is outdated. The info about red plates being no longer in need was given not only from Tiger Motors but also from various Land Transportation Offices. Since you don't have red plates you shall carry a copy of the Documents from the Manufacturer until you receive the green book.

The Insurance matter is actually new to me( not able to insure without green book)....i know of people doing 3rd party insurance on their bike that had no green book but only invoice( this very same person had actually an light accident and the insurance paid out too)....so not sure if this "insurance matter" is actually enforced or if this is another "depend on province" matter.

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox
"i wanna ride you!"

tigersachsclub

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association