By: Anonymous: Paolo ()  Wednesday, 07 April 2010 @ 06:31 AM ICT (Read 2604 times)  

I recently bought a set of Avon tires for my Yamaha FZ1. The other day when I got home from work I found that the rear tire had picked up a small nail like object. I pulled the nail and of course the tire went flat.

I removed the wheel and called my tire dealer to see about bringing it in for repair. They informed me that they don't do patch jobs on sportbike tires and that for my safety I would be better off getting a new tire. I have less than a thousand kilometers on these tires and was wondering if this is really necessary.

Can't I plug or patch it? I'm not cheap, but am I going to have to buy a new tire whenever I pick up a nail? This is the first nail I have pick up with one my bikes since I started riding in Thailand.

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 07 April 2010 @ 01:47 PM ICT  

I think a certain amount of common sense is in order here. If the damage is minimal and the repair is done properly there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get full service out of the tires. I'm talking about normal street riding here, not track days. Also let me stress the phrase 'done properly.'

All the major tire manufacturers provide technical information on repair procedure. The tire repair must be done from the inside and the proper plug/patch must be installed.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: poorboyspost (offline)  Thursday, 13 May 2010 @ 07:22 AM ICT  

I think you can patch it since you don't use your bike for racing and might as well buy a new one in case......

---------------------------------
Links
Links to commercial sites that are not relevant to the thread or forum are forbidden, whether located in the post proper or in the member's forum signature. Please don't try to sell stuff here, we're not buying. For more about the Motorcycle Thailand Forum Rules

poorboyspost

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association