By: Anonymous: Matt ()  Monday, 22 February 2010 @ 10:43 AM ICT (Read 3540 times)  

Hello guys,

I've been told to fit a Scottoiler to keep my chain in good condition. Have you got any tips when I'm fitting it? My bike is a Kawasaki ER6N (650cc).

By: Richard (offline)  Monday, 22 February 2010 @ 02:07 PM ICT  

There's three key things when fitting a Scottoiler. First is where you mount the main unit. The obvious place is in the cubby-hole under the seat but that's prime real-estate on a motorcycle so it's a shame to take it up with something like a Scottoiler. On that Kawasaki I think you can get it under the rear subframe tube so it's neatly tucked away but still accessible to fill the oil and adjust the flow.

Next is the connection for the vacuum. A picture is worth a thousand words here and Scottoiler's website has photos showing where to connect most modern motorcycles.Thai Bike

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: Ron ()  Friday, 26 February 2010 @ 10:58 PM ICT  

During a recent ride through Laos on my Africa Twin I met two other AT riders, one of whom had a Scotoiler (single 't' I was told) fitted and spoke highly of it.
What is the experienced opinion out there regarding these oilers?
Road Cruise

By: Richard (offline)  Friday, 26 February 2010 @ 11:39 PM ICT  

First I would not call myself an Scottoiler expert, but I can give my personal opinion. I believe that nothing is better then manual labor, it not only give you the satisfaction of making sure that it's done right, but you also can inspect the the chain while doing it.

Scottoiler maybe outperforms a human in oiling the chain, it also makes people lazy. One time I met a guy who was using a automatic chain lubrication system, and by doing that he never paid much attention to his chain... we found him on a road in the middle of no-ware in the deep Northeast part of Thailand, his chain did serious damage to his rear end, the rear-wheel was history. The guy was lucky to be alive...

So maybe I need to buy twice as much chains and sprockets then when I was using a Scottoiler, or another automatic chain lubrication system... I'm happy to pay... I'm safe... depending on gadgets has its limits.

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association