By: Anonymous: Barry ()  Sunday, 24 January 2010 @ 06:07 PM ICT (Read 3913 times)  

Is 47,000km a lot for a motorcycle? It's a 2000 Suzuki GSX-R750. It was used to commute from Bangkok to Chonburi and back daily, hence the kilometers.

The Suzuki is really tidy, his asking price is 125,000 Baht. Am I getting ripped off or does it seem like a decent buy? The paper work is all correct and the motorcycle is road legal (has license plates). It's got a Yoshi pipe, tinted screen and few more aftermarket parts. What do you think?

By: news (offline)  Monday, 25 January 2010 @ 09:28 AM ICT  

Your best way to consider the condition of a motorcycle is from appearance. That does not mean how shiny it is but it does mean how it has been looked after. It is best not to judge a motorcycle by how many kilometers it is reading (It's possible to turn clocks back) but to look at a few areas that will tell you for sure how it has been looked after.

It is hard to disguise the condition of the rims and they will tell you if there have been a lot of tire changes and how carefully they have been done. Another area is the underside of the footpegs, lever ends and handlebar ends that can show signs of a slide down the road.

Any changes from standard will also give clues. These days, when the boys in brown (police) are down on motorcycle making excess noise, then it does not make sense to take off a standard exhaust system and not keep it (just in case, and then you can offer it as part of the sale). This suggest to me that the original exhaust pipe may have been the subject of some gravel rash; check therefore if there is any other accident damage and how well the repair has been done.

It really comes down to the condition of the individual motorcycle, so don't be in any hurry at a few examples of the same model to become more familiar with them. Also search on Internet for common problems with the model and the build year.

I know its a pain in the butt to do all this running around, but it is the best way not to buy a cat in a bag. Also one your buddies must have a dad, friend, cousin, or somebody that knows a bit about motorcycles: don't be afraid to ask.

Last, check the motorcycle's paperwork, is the greenbook genuine. Only accept to buy the motorcycle if you can go together with him to the Department of Land transport to change the registration papers in your name. If he offers to do it for you … will likely mean that your greenbook is not genuine... (Exception on this is of course official dealerships from Kawasaki and Yamaha)

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Will ()  Sunday, 31 January 2010 @ 09:23 AM ICT  

It's not difficult to find motorcycles of 9 to 10 years old, check other prices, other motorcycles. Do not guide yourself by the shinny paint, a professional paint job doesn't cost much in Thailand. The most important part of buying a motorcycle in Thailand is make sure it is mechanical in good condition. Engine parts are often expensive or hard to get, adding to the cost. A dented or rusty fuel-tank or surface corrosion on the frame is not that serious, nothing a professional metal worker or automotive painter cannot fix.

By: Anonymous: james lynn ()  Sunday, 11 April 2010 @ 06:38 AM ICT  

Dear Brother,
I would like to buy a new one family motorbike , which one are good ?please suggest to post your opinion. e.g wave 110i or 125r
thanks
james lynn.

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association